COOPERATION PROGRAMME INTERREG V-A
«GREECE – CYPRUS 2014-2020»
Project Title: “Network of Open Eco-Museums for the Promotion and Mild Enhancement of Areas with Environmental History” (Acronym: Eco.Muse)
Priority Axis 3: Conservation and protection of environment and risk prevention
Thematic Objective 6: Preservation and protection of the environment and
Investment Priority 6c: Conservation, protection, promotion and development of natural and cultural heritage
Specific Objective 3.2: Improving the attractiveness of areas of natural and cultural interest
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE PROJECT
The project concerns the creation of two Open Eco-Museums in the area of Sitia (Regional Unity of Lassithi, Crete) and in the area of Marathasa (Limassol, Cyprus), with the aim of developing areas with the active participation of local communities, based on a holistic sustainable approach. Through the project, a model network of open space Museums (Eco-Museums) will be developed, with the aim of its cross-border adoption.
An eco-museum will be developed in Sitia with a reference point of the olive tree and the time-growing culture around it and its products, while at the same time a model participatory oil mill will be organized. At Mount Troodos, the entire area of Marathasa in Limassol will be transformed into an Open Eco-Museum, with reference to its natural and cultural heritage stock (paths, ancient & Byzantine monuments, folk art, traditional professions), its connection with local economic activities and the creation of sites for cultural education.
The project concerns the strengthening of areas with rich natural and cultural heritage that face the risk of partial abandonment, as well as the promotion and protection of the natural and structured environment, aiming at its rational and mild development through the active participation of local social and professional bodies, and enriching the areas with economic-social-cultural activities, creating a peculiar “environmental” product (rebranding).
The development approach of an area as an Open Eco-Museum contributes to the promotion of its components, based on its emblematic characteristics, thus creating conditions for its developmental restart. The special characteristics of each area, part of the development of an Eco-Museum, create conditions for the discretion of the area and the strengthening of its identity and attractiveness.
The project aims at the following:
- avoid abandonment of mountainous communities, highlighting the identity of the area, developing a common approach to an integrated network design of transnational Eco-Museums;
- exchange of know-how and twinning of the 2 areas in Greece and Cyprus;
- integrated sustainable management of natural environment & anthropogenic activities, increase of visiting by the creation of particular environmental-friendly products, and development of multi-thematic forms of tourism;
- extension of the touristic season through the development of a multi-thematic tourism product;
- strengthen and protection of natural & cultural heritage sites;
- reuse of abandoned building stock;
- interconnection of visitor sites with fragmental operation; and
- promote experiential education.
PROJECT FINANCIAL DETAILS
Title: Network of Open Eco-Museums for the Promotion and Mild Enhancement of Areas with Environmental History
Start Date: 01/06/2021
End Date: 31/05/2023
Status of operation: In progress
Total budget: €2,115,000.00
European Union Contribution (ERDF): €1,797,750.00